Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Save Language, 2/16

When immigrating to a mostly English speaking country, people's first reaction is to assimilate and learn how to speak the language in order to survive. However, America is known for its many spoken languages due to its large number of immigrants. Language is usually passed down from generation to generation, but when moving to America, sometimes that language gets lost.

In this article, it explains how America has recognized Hawaiian Pidgin English as a language. Hawaiian Pidgin English came to be when Chinese, Portuguese, Filipino and Japanese immigrants worked in the plantations. I've read and heard the controversy with pidgin language since I was young. A lot of people felt that Hawaiians who spoke pidgin sounded illiterate and should either choose one language or the other. Hawaiians, in turn, was very taken back by the reaction of some people. For those who aren't familiar with Hawaiian Pidgin English, this is an example:
In the United States, there can be a mix of first generation students that either know their language, or don't. For example, I was never really taught tagalog because my parents never spoke it to me. They felt that since we're living in America, it would be good for me to make English my first language. Looking back now, I wish I had another language under my belt. Not only would I have to worry about my language dying out, I would be able to go back to the Philippines and converse with ease. 
The recognizing of Hawaiian Pidgin English is definitely a big step for America. This is another example of how America is so rich in culture and language. 


1 comment: